Monday, February 01, 2016

It's February Already

Yup, it's February ALREADY, eek.  It's the first of the month so it's time for a new challenge at Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge... where it's really no challenge at all as all you have to do is use patterned paper somewhere on your creation :-))  I made a sympathy card as they're the sort of card we all need at some point and are loathe to make "on demand" as it were - good to have one or two on hand.
I cut two of the corners with my 1" corner cutter... I rarely use this, now I see how much it cuts the card down I can see why, it looks alright when used as a feature though, in my opinion anyway.
The background paper is GORGEOUS in real life, the green foil is really lush against the charcoal background; it is from my "special" papers box... most of those come from my favourite shop Starfish Lane... either as treat-myself purchases or with the proceeds of gift vouchers from my lovely son Chris - as this was :-)  The image is from Beccy's Place, it was a freebie  called simply  "Magnolia"
I broke with tradition this time around and used only Prismacolor pencils to colour the image... well not really broke; I printed the image on Versa Linen card and I usually use pencils on the heavier textured card as I have found that gives a nicer finish than Copics... well I think so! 
I did manage to get some Copic action happening though; the pearl in the centre of the embellishment on the ribbon was cream, I coloured it to suit with a Yellow Green Copic.  The ribbon is VERY glittery (let me translate, it loses fine black glittery bits all over the place!!) and didn't look good tied in a bow, or even a knot, so all I did was gather it with a little cotton and plonk the embellishment on, as I only had a little bit left it worked out well as I ended up with (just!) enough for the inside
The sentiment is from a set I've had for years; stamped in green pigment ink and embossed with clear... not that the gloss shows.
I cut the image panel with Spellbinders Standard Ovals and the mat (which I embossed with homemade black glitter EP) with Spellbinders Classic Scalloped Ovals.
As usual I finished the inside with elements from the front of the card... instead of the rhinestone/pearl embellishment from the front I used three flat back pearl embellies... they started life cream too, lol.  I didn't gather the ribbon this time, so it needed more pearls.
That's it for today's card, pop over to the blog and check out the rest of the team's inspiration, hope you get a chance to join in the challenge this time around: great prize as always and the theme is so easy, why not??
I'd like to enter this card in the following challenges:
Crafty Cardmakers Die Cuts and/or Punches
As You Like It One or Multi-Layer (I'm going for "Multi-Layer" coz they're easier, lol, but I love One layer too!)
Pixies Snippets Playground Snippets (ribbon, I have about 2cm left, sob)
Aud Sentiments Anything Goes with a Sentiment
Little Miss Muffet Anything Goes
That Craft Place Anything Goes
Addicted to  Stamps Anything Goes
Art by Miran Anything Goes
Simply Papercrafts Anything Goes
Simon Says Challenge Anything Goes
Tuesday Throwdown Anything Goes
I'll be back soon (with something from my drafts I think, or maybe the cake I did for the twin's first birthday, seems as I'm already thinking about their THIRD which is on Easter Monday)  I have been press ganged into making a cake this week for one of my son's friends; I made a cake just before Christmas, now it only seems right that her eldest daughter get the same sort of cake - Sep's a nice lady so I said yes even though I don't do cakes "commercially" any more; three years of wedding cakes for a shop cured me of THAT, lol
Until then, Happy Crafting, Donna

20 comments:

Judy McKay said...

stunning card. So beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Crafty CardMakers this week Hope to see you back her again soon. Judy DT

Hazel said...

Thank you for your lovely design inspiration for Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper February challenge x

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

A beautiful card for such a sad occasion Ginny x
My Blog As I do Rodos

Di said...

A really beautiful card Donna and fascinating to read how you made it! So elegant and a perfect sympathy card.

Hugs

Di xx

Barb said...

What a lovely card this is. I enjoyed reading how you went about making it. The pencils work really well on the linen texture card. Barbxx

andree said...

A lovely card, these are so difficult to do. Such beautiful papers and lovely image to match. Thanks so much for playing this time at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends. Good luck and hope to see you again soon. Andree {DT Lil Patch of Crafty Friends}

Rachelle Olaridge said...

What a beautiful card. Love the details, coloring and digi. Thanks for your entry in our challenge at Tuesday Throwdown!

Nannieflash said...

Gorgeous card Donna, love that image and your way of creating a card with those bps. hugs Shirleyxxx

Jennifer_GlitterInMyHair said...

What a great card! I love your color choices and fun layout. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments for our “Anything Goes” Challenge; I hope to see your work in our future challenges too!
Jennifer, DT

Maike from Maikreations said...

Lovely image and great colouring! Thank you for joining our „Dies & Punches“ challenge over at the Crafty Cardmakers ;o) Happy crafting,
Maike

Sarn said...

Very stylish card. xxx

Janice W. said...

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous card with us at LMMS! The flowers are so pretty!

Amanda said...

Hi Donna, what a beautiful card!! You have coloured the image amazing. Thank you for joining us at That Craft Place. good Luck and hope to see you again soon.
Hugs Amanda

Zw@@n said...

Beautiful card, Donna. Love the image and the background paper. Thank you for joining us at As You Like It. Luv, Wilma

berucrafts said...

What a wonderful flower card you made... love the texture on the magnolia... You are a great artist... You colored it with Prisma? Stunning... Thanks for sharing your card by art by miran challenge... Hugs Ute

Josephine said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers!

** Line** said...

That´s a nice card! Thanks for joining us at Hanna& Friends
hugs Line

Susan (rainy) said...

A very elegant and beautiful card. Your coloring is so lovely.

coldwaters2 said...

Beautiful, elegant card Donna the papers are lush the image is stunning, thank you for joining our challenge at ADDICTED TO STAMPS I hope you will join us again.
hugs
lorraine x

CraftingMum said...

Lovely Card thanks for joining us at Crafting with friends. Louise DT x