Monday, June 15, 2015

My First Criss Cross Card

I have been threatening to make a Criss Cross Card for some time... I drool over Teresa's beautiful makes regularly, but do realize mine were never going to be in that style; I'm no good at it!!  I wasn't sure if a simplified version would work, I think it did - I made my first one for my Mum's birthday last year which is "fussy for me"... and this ISN'T it!!!!  I have to find the photos for that one on my old laptop, so in the meantime here is my first Criss Cross card to be blogged; it was for my son's friend Chantelle's 30th birthday... he met her in Pre school and they're still great friends  - now they're both now nearly 31, aaaw 
The photos aren't great... my son (who is a photographer!!) took them just before going out as I had forgotten to take any, oops, and he didn't have the best light or camera.. at least you can get the idea, though I have to say I've finally found a style of card that's harder to photograph than Joy fold cards, lol. 
Crafty Calendar has a Fancy Folds challenge so I'm entering there.

The image is a Deviant Art Image called "The Necklace" from Jade Dragonne, I love her stuff!  it was extra appropriate as Chris bought Chantelle a heart shaped locket as her gift.  I printed on textured card and used Prismacolor pencils to colour, adding a bit of bling to the necklace.
The papers are digital... from Shery K Designs, the set's called simply "Lace".  I used four of the patterns in the pack of 10... they're all nice and so well coordinated.
The card base was textured black card left over from the bonbonniere boxes I made for my son and DIL's wedding (in 2009! Here's a link if you're interested) To say I over estimated the quantity I'd need for them is an understatement... I'll be using the "leftovers" until Doomsday :-)) 
Hiding in my Craft Room have their Super Scraps Saturday challenge on, BOY am I in with this one!
 
The black mats, including the Spellbinders Floral Oval and behind the image and the smaller Floral Oval behind the jotting panel, are made from black card heat embossed with home made black glitter EP.  The wooden "30" was painted then given the same treatment, it's a bit hard to see the glitter in the pics... but it was EVERYWHERE in my craft room for DAYS, lol  Top Tip Tuesday  has Cut It Out and Tuesday Throwdown has Frame It so I'm entering there.  Corrosive Challenge has "Pile It On"... I'm using the number of layers I've "Piled On" to enter there
The turquoise cardstock is from my stash, it's called Tiffany Blue and is VERY "Chantelle" :-)   The VERY bling-y rhinestone trim is a gift from my folk's overseas trips... the two sizes came from two different trips!
I made an easel/stand for the back of my first criss cross card ...  I made it straight at the bottom but it didn't sit right so I kept trimming... very wisely I used it as a template so when it came time to make this card it was a very easy job, and I think it really helps display the card style to it's best advantage.
I'll be entering the Anything Goes challenges at
Li'l Patch of Crafty Friends, Through the Craftroom Door, Art by Miran, That Craft Place and Paper Creator Crafts too
Well that's it for this card-from-my-drafts.  I'll be back in a few days with something else from my drafts (still got a stack in there, lol), or maybe one of my paintings.... or maybe one of the cakes I've made recently... well the twins' FIRST birthday isn't THAT recent, but you know what I mean.  Until then, Happy Crafting, Donna

12 comments:

Brenda said...

This is such a lovely criss cross card. I love that the sentiment slips out and especially love that you put the stand on the back. Thanks for joining us in "cutting it out" at Top Tip Tuesday Challenge! Brenda

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Beautiful card design and colouring of the image Ginny x

Jacee said...

This is wonderful Donna, what a great design!
hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Elaine Stark said...

WOW a beautiful first criss cross card. Great papers and colours. Thanks for joining Top Tip Tuesday. Elaine

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at HIMCR, good luck!!! Amy DT

Penny Duncan said...

What a stunning project......

Trish said...

Gorgeous card love your design !

Tamie said...

Phenomenal creation! I love, love, love all of the bling, the papers and images. Simply beautiful. Thank you so much for playing at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends.

Tamie DT

Debbie said...

Absolutely amazing! LOVE your creation! Really eye catching! Thanks for joining in The Corrosive Challenge, and I wish you the best of luck!
DebbieM

Kelly Schelske said...

Such a beautiful criss cross card Donna!

Thank you for playing along with us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends! Our newest challenge will open later today!

Jo said...

This is gorgeous Donna....great fold, love the easel back.....great image & fab bling too! Thanks for joining us over at Crafty Calendar this month & good luck!
hugs Jo x
Dt

Helen said...

Just gorgeous and beautifully made.

Thanks for joining us at the Crafty Calendar Challenge.

Helen x